Hello! I’m Kate.
I am a content strategist and copywriter living in Brooklyn, NY.
I fell in love with writing in the second grade in Mrs. Thornton’s class, when I wrote a gripping drama following the friendship of two star-crossed sandpipers on the shores of Connecticut. Sadly, it was overlooked for a Pulitzer. But since then, I’ve been hooked on writing.
Now, I am the Director of Content Strategy for MassMutual, and prior to that, I was the Lead Copywriter for Change.org, where I wrote for activists including Malala. When I’m writing, I work closely with designers (I mean this figuratively and literally … I sit with the Design Team), product marketers, and clients to develop engaging, impactful content including product copy, UX content, mobile copy, and emails. To me, writing is a collaborative process.
When I’m not writing, I perform in an all-girls improv group, take storytelling classes with The Moth’s Adam Wade, and learn how to write sketch comedy at the Upright Citizens Brigade. Or I am baking chocolate chip cookies. Or desperately looking for chocolate chip cookies in my neighborhood at 9 pm when my sweet tooth kicks in and Milanos just won’t cut it.
Content Strategy Director, Digital & User Experience, MASSMUTUAL | New York, NY | 2017–Present
- Wrote, edited, and curated more than 100 pieces of content for the relaunch of the site including microcopy, interaction flows, and product marketing content resulting in a 20% increase in overall traffic.
- Collaborated closely with designers, researchers, and product managers to create clear, concise, and conversational product and mobile content, which led to an increase in traffic for every single product page, in some cases by 246%.
- Plan, write, and edit emails, payment flows, product content, including interface language, and product names for MassMutual.com, improving the overall user experience and ensuring consistency.
- Oversee script writing and editing for videos on MassMutual.com.
- Explain complex topics like annuities and disability insurance in a friendly, digestible tone for users.
- Managed the Compliance and Legal Review to ensure all content was compliant with regulatory bodies.
Lead Copywriter, CHANGE.ORG | New York, NY | 2015–2016
- Connected more than 150 million users to Change.org’s social empowerment platform through powerful storytelling.
- Worked with designers on product copy to launch new products, including fundraisers on Change.org.
- Authored hundreds of stories, social media posts, and emails about people using the Change.org platform, resulting in millions of signatures, significant changes in law, and more than $500,000 raised.
- Developed the website’s brand narrative by creating the marketing and content strategy for two series, which exceeded average page views by 20%.
- Created videos on storytelling explaining best practices in digital storytelling.
- Worked with cross-functional teams, building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Contributing Blogger, ETSY NY | New York, NY | 2014–2015
- Created blog posts highlighting curated products from Etsy shops with unique seasonal themes.
- Increased shares by 15% by developing and writing stories to best fit the brand.
Lead Copywriter/Consultant, DULCINEA | New York, NY | 2006–2015
- Published more than 120 articles and created cohesively branded social media campaigns across Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, as well as paid media campaigns, leading to a 237% increase in engagement across channels.
- Collaborated with designers, from brainstorming through the full production of the website, including navigational nomenclature, interface language, product names, and product education material.
- Trained a team of 30+ in best practices for social media including Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube resulting in a 24% increase in traffic from their campaigns.
- Wrote scripts for daily videos reviewing the latest stories on the site, which developed a popular following.
- Consistently delivered quality content and results within stringent deadlines, with key projects that included a series for the New York Times City Room Blog.
Law Clerk, International Criminal Court | The Hague, The Netherlands | 2006
- Recognized by the Prosecutor of the ICC for outstanding work in preparing daily international news analyses for the legal office and drafting crime and jurisdiction analyses.
Things I like to do
- Advanced Storytelling student with The Moth’s Adam Wade
- UCB Improv student and member of the all-girls improv group, Spaghetti Code
- Brooklyn Community 2 Board Member (2015–2016)
- Researcher with Child Soldier Relief Foundation and The Roméo Dallaire Child Soldier Initiative
- WHOA (Women Helping Others Achieve) Engineering Member
Graduated in the top 5% of the class.
Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science National Honor Society, Member.
Harvard University Model UN.
(212) 222-3333 | firstname.lastname@example.org